A Statement of *Personal Values
- I strive to be open to a wide range of divergent ideas and opinions from others, providing they're based on reasonably confirmed facts, common sense, sound logic and truth.
- I believe political views should never get prioritized above one's faith, love of country, love of family, care for friends & neighbors, or treatment of others. I resent & oppose any efforts to divide, polarize or marginalize free & fair exchange of ideas & opinions.
- As for opinions about the President of the U.S. - as an Officer in the Air Force I was taught to respect & honor the Office of the President, regardless of what I thought about the occupant. (footnote: my mother often said "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything").
- I admit my values are conservative & traditional. I make no apologies for that. Over the years I've had to work hard to provide for the security, safety & well-being of my family. I believe in equal opportunity for everyone regardless of race, creed or religion. I do not believe government should provide equal outcomes ….no one's rights supersede others.
- As this is being written peaceful protesters are seeing their rights being overshadowed by law-breakers shooting at police, rioting, looting and damaging property. Sadly there may be efforts to move USA towards socialism & away from freedom & individual rights. If you missed out on USA Civics/Constitution & what it means to be a good citizen of USA go here.
- Patriotism should never become a political issue. Love of our country & respect for our flag should be genuinely positive feelings of heartfelt pride & admiration. If they're not, I pray you re-examine your understanding of the history of USA. Study & understand our Constitution & Bill of Rights.
- For my grandchildren & great grandchildren … I regret recent generations have elected politicians who have allowed our Country to live beyond her means. The harsh reality is too many voters do not pay any federal taxes, yet vote for redistributing that income back to themselves/non-tax payers. Ultimately that won't work. I pray your leaders do a better job than mine did.
* Please know I am not trying to sell you on any of my values; rather I want you to think about your own values. As some of our better colleges emphasize: it's not about teaching "what to think", rather it's about sharing "how to think". Please accept my thoughts in that spirit.